Book Club Discussion Questions
Finding Grace, A Novel
These questions may provide conversation starters for your Book Club discussion of Finding Grace. Please note the questions will give away elements of the plot, so it’s best to read the book before reviewing the guide. I wish you all lively discussions!
- What about the character Caroline Tate Booker appealed to you?
- What about Caroline Tate Booker frustrated you?
- Why do you think Caroline agreed to marry Charles Booker?
- Why was Charlie so enthralled with Caroline?
- Did Charlie miss clues about Caroline’s feelings about motherhood?
- How do you feel about Charlie’s means of creating a family? Do the ends justify the means?
- What, if anything, could have led Caroline to enjoy the news of her impending pregnancy?
- If there had been no pregnancy, how do you envision the marriage of Charlie and Caroline?
- What part did Caroline’s upbringing play in her disinterest in becoming a mother?
- What effect did Charlie’s orphan status have on his desire to have a family?
- Could Charlie have negotiated parenting terms with Caroline that may have improved their daughter’s life?
- How would you describe Caroline’s career ambitions?
- What was Grace’s ultimate fear?
- Why did Caroline fly home when Grace was hospitalized?
- What did Charlie learn from Lucas? Walt?
- What role did Lori play in the family dysfunction, if any?
- The small town of Two Harbors is almost a character in the novel. How so?
- Who are the heroic characters in the story?
- What will the future hold for Caroline? Charlie? Lori? Grace?
A Better Next: A Novel
These questions may enhance your book club’s discussion of A Better Next. Please note the questions will give away elements of the plot, so it’s best to read the book before reviewing the guide. If you’d like to tag me on social media with photos of your book club holding up their copies of A Better Next I’ll happily share! Enjoy! Thanks!
- What about Jess Lawson’s life resonates with you?
- Do you think Jess’ career hinders her ability to focus on her marriage?
- Why do you think it takes Jess so long to realize the root cause of the relationship failure with Arthur?
- What is it about the phase of the ‘empty nest’ that is dangerous to so many marriages today?
- Do you think her parents’ divorce affected Jess’ willingness to admit her own marriage was in trouble? If so, how?
- What do the pictures tell you about Jess and Arthur’s marriage?
- How would you describe Jess’ career ambitions?
- Did Jess try too hard to “do it all” and compromise her marriage? What could she have done differently?
- How did the friendships among Jess, Diane and Claire influence Jess’ decisions about her marriage, her career, and future dating?
- The first date after divorce is significant for Jess. Why?
- What did Jess like best about her new relationship with Jim?
- Who do you see around Jess’ Thanksgiving dinner table in the future?
- How did Jess’ value set influence her investigation of the medical group?
- Compare and contrast the male characters in the book. Arthur? Vincente? Dan? Jim? Dick? Larry Personne, Adam Bright?
- Do you think Jess and Arthur’s kids will be alright? Why or Why not?
- What do you think Jess will do next? Why?
- If you listened to the audiobook, did you like the narrator’s choices?
Invite me to join your book club!
I LOVE my Book Club! And, would love to join yours. Every time I read a book I make a mental calculation about whether it is book club worthy—you know— the kind of book that would generate a meaningful discussion. I hope you think Finding Grace and A Better Next are worthy of that consideration. Through the magic of Skype, I can get almost anywhere to join you. I would love that!